Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Freycinet Peninsula Circuit

This past weekend a group of friends and I embarked on an epic 3 day journey across moonlight beaches, damp forests, and rocky mountain tops to Wineglass Bay. On Friday morning Brianna, Eddy, Jack, and I arrived at Freycinet National Park around 3pm and began our hike along Hazards Beach. We started off a bit late and the tide was getting high, by attempting to avoid getting soaked by the waves our walk along the beach surely looked like a game of hop scotch to anyone observing from above. After 2 or 3 hours of walking guided by the full moon we reached camp. Before we went to sleep we all agreed that the first person up should wake everyone else. Naturally, Eddy woke us all up at 5:30am and we were on our way by 6:30am.
Along the trail there were beautiful flowers along with square Wombat poo (they have a square butthole and they poop square so that it will not roll off rocks as to mark their territory).From the time we started to about 1pm the sky was overcast with off and on drizzles. The ascent up Mt. Freycinet was a lot more intense then I had expected but it was invigorating, pulling myself up every rock to get to the top felt like such a fulfilling reward. Although climbing Mt. Freycinet in these conditions did not yield the best photographic opportunities, the view from the top was not any less captivating. After an hour of steep and slippery descent we were on our way to Wineglass Bay once again. One mountain, a few falls, and 3 hours later we arrived! Overall we had walked a total of 12 miles in 9 hours that day, not so bad considering the amount of stops we took and vertical climbs we encountered. We all were off on our own adventures in dreamland by 8pm that night and woke up at 7am to a raging sun and sore muscles. Brianna and I were feasting on peanut butter and banana chips on the beach, basking in the beauty of our surroundings when we were greeted by 2 giggly dudes taking off their clothes. “You coming swimmin’?!”.....How could I pass up an opportunity like that? The water was extremely cold but once I exited I felt refreshed and ready to begin hiking again. The walk back to the car park was tiring, but we made it, and what a wonderful trip!

(if you would like to see more pictures from this trip visit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62111564@N00/

No comments:

Post a Comment